Rock Buddies Tips and Tricks


So you've started Rock Buddies in your class, but now you're looking for tips and tricks to streamline this empathy building, management strategy?  Well, you've come to the right place!

Below is a list of common Rock Buddy problems and how to fix them.

Problem 1: I have no idea who's been who's Rock Buddy anymore.

I learned pretty early on that I needed a system to keep track of the who's who of Rock Buddies.  With a little planning in the beginning, you can save yourself a lot of time throughout the year. 


I use a planning sheet to help me map out my rock buddies for a few weeks.  I basically just rotate the second person in the list at first, as long as there are no issues between the pairings.

I also stuck with boy/boy and girl/girl pairings in the beginning of the year, especially at the fifth and sixth grade level, but that's totally up to you.

I also made a Notebook file so that I could project the new Rock Buddies each week and easily share the new pairings with my class. 

Get both of these resources in my Rock Buddy Packet found here!

Problem 2: These @*&# rocks are all over my classroom.

Yes.  If not managed, rocks can quickly get out of control.  One year, I turned around after teaching a killer math lesson and my students were building mansions out of paper for their rocks.  Granted, it was sort of it's own geometry practice session, but still I couldn't let it fly.

So I told my class that after years of working with rocks, I've learned some things about what they like and dislike, including how they like to sit at corners of desks and they really dislike distracting their owners.  You can get my Rock Buddy Rules Powerpoint in my Rock Buddy Packet found here.

If students could continually not control their rock, we had a special "Rock Garden" in class where rocks stayed for the day and would be returned when deemed an appropriate time.  "Rock Garden" was a fancy term for an empty box on my desk.

Problem 3: All my ADHD students all day is play with rocks.

Check out my Rock Buddy Rules Powerpoint here and read Problem 2 above.  Their rocks may
An example of "Rock Buddy Rules" from Powerpoint.
have to spend an extended vacation in the "Rock Garden."  


Or if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Let your students read to their rock during reading time. Let the rocks help them solve problems during math.  Have them tell their rocks their stories as a pre-writing strategy.  As long as the work gets done, use the rocks to your advantage.

Problem 4: Some students are not participating.

Accountability is always a concern.  This can become a bigger problem once you start pairing students with others they don't get along with so well.
Planning Sheet

If you have a particularly troubling pairing, you may want to meet with them early in the week and help them plan out what they could do to be kind to their Rock Buddy.  Use this helpful planning sheet freebie!  Let it only be one thing.  Like a compliment with your supervision.  Start small and let them be successful.  Give them ownership by letting them come up with their own empathetic idea and really praising it or adding it to your class "Rock at Being a Rock Buddy" list.

One year, with a particularly difficult class, each Monday morning as part of our morning meeting, we'd all take a minute to plan out our good deeds for the week.  We'd then share out and help create a base of ideas.  Sometimes, kids just don't know what to do.  Talking about it and planning can help.

Problem 5: I tried those things.  One kid still won't participate.

Sigh there's always one.  Let that kid sit out of being a Rock Buddy for a week. Then make that the most amazing Rock Buddy Week Ever (I feel like fanfare music should play after that).  Teach outdoor games to rock buddy pairs.  Let rock buddies work together during a "test." Give rock buddy pairs free drawing time in class to make cards for each other.  Whatever that reluctant student loves, work it into rock buddies for that week.

Then, when your student is begging to be a Rock Buddy again, you say, "But, oh, wait, you didn't want to work with Rock Buddies this week?  Sorry.  Maybe you'll be ready next week."

Tough love, baby.  Tough love.

Problem 6: Our Rock Buddy routine has become a dull as, well, rocks.

It happens.  The first place you could start is by asking your class about it.  Sometimes (ok, a lot of the time), they come up with much more creative ideas than I ever could.

Also, think about using your Rock Buddies as partners throughout the day to partner read, peer edit, correct each other's math problems, play vocabulary charades with each other etc.

Give them quick and easy challenges like, "Find 10 things you have in common" or "Interview your Rock Buddy about some of their favorite things."  

The possibilities are endless really.  



What are your favorite ways to use Rock Buddies in the classroom?  Or, how could you see yourself using them?

Post a Comment

0 Comments