The Five Stages of Snow Day Waiting


You know the feeling.  You wake up early.  Earlier than normal.  Before your alarm.  This never happens.

So what's with the new internal clock?  The news has been calling for snow. That's all it took for you to get your hopes up (and to have drank that extra glass bottle of wine last night).

As you watch the school closings scroll across the screen, these thoughts may be scrolling through your mind:


1. Denial
I can't believe my school hasn't cancelled yet.  I know they call it by 5:30 and it's 5:31.  I must have just missed it.  I'll watch the news scroll through the entire alphabet again, just to be sure.  
And then maybe just check one more channel.  
Ok, two more channels.
I should turn on the radio.
Let me grab my phone, I bet my work wife texted me the good news.  
Almost forgot--Facebook! I'm sure the whole school's posted about it by now.

2. Anger
A blizzard they said.  Schools shutting down for days, they promised. Every other school around me is closed and we don't even have a two hour delay?  That's it.  I'll show them.  I'll just take a sick day.  That will really teach 'em to mess with this teacher. Sigh. But then, the sub plans...

3. Bargaining
I promise school district, if you call today, I'll work ALL summer.  For free.  And you won't hear me complain once in June.  Really!  I'll like having my summer cut short.  

I know I've promised this before, and then June rolls around and I'm not the most pleasant teacher to work with.  But I've learned me lesson (those HR interventions really shed some light on my behavior).  Just please, please, give me today.  I need this time so much more in the middle of January, and I won't give a hoot in July that I'm still working.  Puh-leeeeeeaaaaseeeee.....

4. Depression
I'll have to go to work everyday this week.  No Netflix binging.  No extra coffee.  No bathroom trips whenever I damn well please.  

5. Acceptance
It's 5:32.  I should really get ready.   

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. Awesome post! This is so true! I could relate to all these! - Amanda Perkins (Undercover Teacher on TPT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious...This had me laughing out loud and brought back memories of my years teaching in the midwest. I'm now in Southern California, but found myself feeling the familiar anticipation along with those in the midst of the winter storm. I miss the snow days, but not the piles of snow. (Creative Curriculum Adaptations-Ginger Joyce)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This had me laughing out loud as I remembered those early mornings when I was teaching in the midwest for many years. I'm now in Southern California but found myself feeling the old anticipation of a snow day while watching the news coverage of the storm. I do miss snow days but not the snow that comes with it. Thanks for the chuckle today... (Creative Curriculum Adaptations)

    ReplyDelete