iPad Integration

During my second year teaching second grade, I was lucky enough to be part of my school district's 1:1 iPad Integration Pilot.  I use that term 'lucky' lightly.  Somedays I was lucky. Somedays I was irritated. Somedays they'd find me rocking quietly in a corner installing app after app.  But in the end, I learned (and hopefully my class did too) a lot about effective technology integration.  

Let me give you some quick background info.  Someone in our county decided, that in this digital age, students should be equipped with more technology.  I can't say I disagree, as I sit here typing my blog.  Sure, we need more technology.  I'm on board!

But, that's where the decision-making stopped and we just started giving kids more technology. Oh, yea, and start with primary kids.  You know, the ones that often can't figure out what to do on their own if their pencil breaks.  What could go wrong?  

I was no longer on board.  I had visions, some may call them nightmares, of students breaking equipment, losing equipment, or finding information that they shouldn't learn about until they're 40.

Luckily, with the support of two very talented and patient tech coaches and an amazingly creative and collaborative team, my class survived thrived in this endeavor.  After one year, only one iPad completely vanished.  Parts were broken but often could be fixed (or a student learned a natural consequence).  And no one was permanently scarred by what they Google'd.  I must say, I call that a successful first year.

Of course this occurred after lots of trial and error.  As well as lots of strict consequences, overly practiced procedures, loads of parent communication, and an incredible team effort.  To help you if you are forced into inspired to start a 1:1 iPad/Computer program of your own, or if you're just looking for resources to use whenever you are in the computer lab, read my tips that hopefully will make your journey nightmare free!

Post a Comment

0 Comments