Reader's Theaters in the Content Areas

How do you make Alfred Wegener come to life?  Or make kids remember the minute differences between a square and a rhombus?  I've tried many different ways over the years with various amounts of success but have often felt students simply weren't getting enough practice with the academic language in these content areas.  And then I went to one of the greatest professional development sessions ever (yes, they do exist)!

Find Rosalind's Book Here!
I was inspired by an amazing teacher and educational drama consultant, Rosalind Flynn.  She has devoted much of her career to helping teachers integrate drama into their classroom by ramping up the traditional reader's theater.  If you aren't lucky enough to meet her, her site has a lot of great resources to check out: http://rosalindflynn.com/  

Based on her teaching, I've learned to write reader's theaters with my class, integrating our content objectives.  I have been amazed by what I've watched develop.  Students who were the quiet, shrinking violets, become Morgan Freemans when given one line to speak (ok, sometimes they're more like Keanu Reeves at first, but we work on that).  Those who are always begging for your attention are given a creative outlet.



They want to practice.  They cheer (literally) when I tell them to get their scripts out.  Cheering I always take as a good sign, plus I know I am tricking them [insert evil laugh here] into repeating the important content I want to reinforce over and over.

I try to schedule performance times, where students can show off their work to another class or another teacher.  I use the term "performance" loosely. There are no costumes, no props, not scenery.  Only our acting, voices, and movements are used to entertain. I try to get another class in, but even one additional teacher that you bribe will do. This motivates students to take their lines more seriously.  I hear the "Whew!  We better practice!  I'm feeling a little nervous" once I announce an audience is coming.  Stage fright can become a teacher's friend.

Want to see more? Check out my TpT site: 
Reader's Theaters


Looking for something specific? Check out my ever growing library by clicking on the 
Reader's Theaters Tab! 

Post a Comment

0 Comments