Low Tech Tips

When you hear the word app, do you still think of appetizers?  Do hyperlinks give you hypertension?  When you hear upload, do you want to upchuck? (sorry, couldn't pass that one up:)

Then this is the list for you!  Here is my list of "Low Tech Resources."  What is low tech, you ask?  They're the resources you can implement with very little technological understanding.  Try them in your class today!  No, really!  I'm talking to you.  You can!

I'll be adding to this list, so check back often.  That is, if you can find this blog again :)  Love you, low-techies!


1.  QR Codes
     QR codes changed my life.  When I learned how to make a QR Code, I coded everything.  Answer keys.  Student Work.  Pictures of my cat.  Literally, everything.

What is a QR code?  I'm sure you've seen them before.  They look like these
<--squiggly little boxes.  All you have to do is scan them and they link to, or show you, something.

How do you scan them? Well, you have to have some thing to read them.  There are a ton of free QR Code Readers out there.  Here's my favorite: QR Code Reader  After downloading this, you just point it toward any QR Code you can find and see what it has to offer.


Once I taught my class about these, they were finding QR Codes everywhere and pointed them out to me all day.  

I made math warm-ups and QR coded the answers. You could have students complete the page, check their work, or check it yourself by scanning away. Find them here!



2.  Photos *This works best on an iPad or Tablet. 
Teach your class how to take photos of important resources in your room.  This could be anchor charts, posted class homework, an explanation you wrote on the board.  They can then review these photos to help them at home later.  Disclaimer: Once you teach them how to take pictures on a device, you can't unteach them.  Everything becomes fair game.




3.  Recordings for Self-Reflection
During my most recent book clubs, I noticed that my students weren't always on topic or following my guidelines.  I know, I was as shocked as you.  I had them record themselves on an iPad.  They could then watch their recordings and reflect on how to improve their work.  



Do you have low-tech tips to share?  Add a comment below!

Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. I love QR codes but have not used them as much as I would like. I teach second grade and just got enough iPads so that I will have 1:1 iPads in my class. I would love to hear more about how you are using iPads in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete